Saturday, May 30, 2009

Ineffable

You may laugh at me writing words to deliberate on the ineffable, or that which words cannot touch, but I hope it reflects the futility of the human goal to name everything.

Dear friends, may I confess that I was extremely jealous of the collective insights I've heard thus far about Torrey Banquet? And what a horrible thing, too; to covet my neighbor's past, present and presumable experiences! I regretted moving to Washington more than I have in a very long time, and that was probably the greater sin.

I only mention this so that I can, with clear conscience, express how overjoyed I really am for the growth and joy of each of you! It is an unspeakable blessing (no pun intended) to reach for the ineffable as a community, and that's why I am writing this post.

Lately I've been wondering what the purpose of friendship is exactly. Modern America hasn't exactly provided the best environment for fostering sincere interaction with other people. Betrayal, gossip, verbal and physical abuse, downright rudeness and whatever the heck anyone else can pull out of a hat are all fair game for so-called 'friends' nowadays. (It's the same with marriages, families, workplaces...). As a country, it seems that we've lost our respect for other individuals, drowned in the American dream for personal happiness.

However! You lovely Torrey people get to be the joyful anomalies in this sea of frightened discontent. AND IN SCHOOL NO LESS. (Shouldn't everyone be required to learn decent argumentative courtesy before general science and math?) The obsession of our culture with seeing through everything has made our fellow humans invisible to the scientific eye. American culture has taught to see other not as 'whom' but as 'what'.

I wondered what this transparency effect had to do with our understanding and love of God. As John writes,

"No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us" (1 John 4:12).

...

...

Okay. Now, it would be a logical fallacy to state that, if we don't love one another, God's love will never be perfected in us...

BUT SERIOUSLY. THAT'S LIKE, NOT SPELLED OUT FOR MY THICK FAT HEAD AT ALL. We can at least infer that, if we refuse to love one another, our relationship with God is going to be radically stunted. And...and...and!!

*sigh* Voy a callarme ahora. ^_^ Please rip apart this delirious post as you feel inclined, and do correct me!

Last thoughts:

By reaching further up to God's head, heart and hand, one is enabled to reach further in to the soul another, instead of through them. But it's hard to make that journey alone. We must continually be doing both to strengthen the other!

Congratulations to all hard-working Torrey/high school grads; and I miss all you a lot.

2 comments:

MK Reynolds said...

I miss you too! Keep writing though, it's so good to hear what you are thinking about! :)

Gabriel said...

Who said you weren't good at moral inventory! ;)

Oh Blarney, you've been such a good friend, even though we've been miles apart.

It is no sin to wish to share in the happiness of those you love.

Thank you, and we all do hope to see you soon! =D